Reddick Allred

Reddick AllredReddick Newton Allred was born February 21, 1822 in Bedford County, Tennessee to Isaac and Mary Calvert Allred. The family joined the Church in 1931, soon after moving to Missouri, and Reddick and his twin brother, Redden, were baptized into the Church in the spring of 1833. On the 25th of April, 1838 the family moved to Far West and in October, 1839, “The Prophet Joseph Smith presiding, my brother Redden and myself were ordained Elders.1

Allred helped build the Nauvoo temple, working as a stone mason. On November 26, 1843 he married Lucy Hoyt, starting married life without house, land, money or stock, except one cow. After leaving Nauvoo, the Allred family journeyed to Council Bluffs where Reddick joined the Mormon Battalion, which was being recruited. After enlisting, he left his wife and one child in the care of his father.

The Battalion marched to Fort Leavenworth for equipment and Reddick was appointed Quartermaster Sergeant to deal out rations for Company “A” and to take charge of the baggage train. After his discharge from service Reddick returned to Council Bluffs. On December 19, 1847 he crossed the Missouri River and went eight miles to the Allred family settlement, where he found his wife and child. Later, a celebration was proclaimed by President Brigham Young in the little log tabernacle at Kanesville with the returned soldiers as special guests.

In the spring of 1849, Reddick drew up a land warrant, traded it for two yoke of oxen and a wagon and began preparations for the journey to Utah. The first week of June they started for Salt Lake City, with Reddick chosen as Captain of the second fifty, charged with responsibility for 73 wagons. He drove the lead wagon to Salt Lake City where the company arrived October 16, 1849.

In October of 1856, Reddick joined the party sent out to rescue the Willie and Martin handcart companies. After being hit by a severe blizzard on October 19th, the captain of the rescue party left three men behind, including Reddick, to watch over the supplies. As the weather intensified, the other two men decided that it was foolish to stay and fled in the direction of Salt Lake City, turning back 77 other rescue wagons they met along their way. Reddick, however, listened to priesthood counsel and refused to budge. When the Willie Company had been found and rescued, it was Reddick and his wagons of supplies that were awaiting them after the arduous trek over Rocky Ridge.2

After returning with the rescued companies, Reddick lived at various times in Salt Lake, Davis, Juab and Sanpete counties where he became an honored and beloved business and Church leader in every community in which he lived. He passed away in Chester, Sanpete County in 1905.

1Reddick Newton Allred,

2Reddick Allred and the Handcart Companies,